The Agache Plan
The city also received French influence in its second large plan of urbanism, which was commissioned in 1941 to be carried out by the firm Coimbra Bueno & Cia., from the state of São Paulo, which, in turn, commissioned the French architect and urbanist Alfredo Agache. The plan was put forward to Curitiba's City Hall on October 23rd, 1943.
According to the Agache Plan, a network with a radial layout was defined around the city. This plan left marks that have remained until today: the large avenues, such as Avenidas Visconde de Guarapuava, Sete de Setembro and Marechal Floriano Peixoto: the large pluvial galleries of the Rua XV de Novembro; a determination that new constructions should mandatorily be set back 5 meters from the streets; a concentration of factories in an Industrial Zone located behind the Estação Ferroviária (Railroad Station); a measure to allot areas for the creation of a Civic Center (where public administrative offices are located) and a Polytechnic Center; and the Municipal Market. The Agache Plan set the guidelines for urban development for the city's authorities up until 1958, when the City Hall's Department of Urbanism was created, together with Coplac - Comissão de Planejamento de Curitiba (Curitiba's Planning Committee).